Saturday 20 June 2009

Batch #6

Sally Doherty And The Sumacs "Sleepy Memory" CD [1998]
This is the first release from Sally and the Sumacs and it's very good indeed. A mix of Pop and Folk, a precursor of all the great things to come - "Black Is The Colour" and "Electric Butterfly" most notably. Combining piano, flute, cello, cornet, violin, harp, saxophone and classical guitar alongside Sally's unmistakable vocals, making this a beautiful album of both touching ballads and uplifting tunes. Truly a step in the right direction.
(4 out of 5)

Mala Rodriguez "Malamarismo" CD [2007]
Let me tell you a little story. I know fuck all about Hip Hop. I was playing Scarface on the PS2 and on the in-game car radio came a song which I thought was fucking awesome. It turned out to be Mala Rodriguez's "La Nina" from her "Alevosia" album (which I also own). Being a Noise freak at the time, listening to Spanish Hip-Hop/Rap was almost like admitting I had a black boyfriend. But nonetheless, I bought all of Mala's albums because her music was fucking amazing. I think most of the charm was that a) it was different to my usual taste, and b) I didn't know what the fuck she was singing about. Call it blissful ignorance. I've always found female Spanish singing to be very sexy, so I must admit there was a sexual element to liking this music. Anyway, this album is brilliant and contains the "Por La Noche" video.
(4 out of 5)

Consumer Electronics "Nobody's Ugly" LP [2007]
This was the first new material from now ex-Whitehouse Philip Best in about 12 years, however this project stretches back to 1982. Limited to just 500 copies and being released on black vinyl only, this was sure to be snapped up pretty quickly, but I was lucky enough to get a copy. Compared to "Crowd Pleaser", it's much more interesting Noise-wise. Two long tracks cover both sides of the vinyl. The first - "Black Cotton Wool" - is like a manic, screaming jumbo jet. The second - "Grubbing" - is the perfect backdrop to one of Philip's kiddie collage art pics. Haunting and masterful.
(4 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment