Friday 5 June 2009

Batch #3

Corde Oblique "The Stones Of Naples" CD [2009]
A good Neo-Classical album from a member of Lupercalia with some Folk sounds also. Plenty of acoustic guitar, although the disc also features piano, violin, clarinet, flute and a bunch of others. Riccardo gathers together fellow musicians from bands such as Ashram and Hexperos to assist him in the recording. It's very melodic and captivating, and with few English vocals makes it all the more exotic. I didn't like the inclusion of the Anathema cover though. I know what the original sounds like, so this version sticks out like a sore thumb, and not in a good way. But that's just me. "Barrio Gotico" is fucking amazing, on the other hand.
(4 out of 5)

New Risen Throne "Crossing The Withered Regions" CD [2009]
This is the first I have heard from this project and I must say that I am very impressed. This disc is fucking depressing as hell. Pure, bleak ambient soundscapes; sparse, ritualistic drums covered with dark drones and morbid melodies, the occasional speech sample buried beneath, sometimes spoken word, sometimes a haunting chorus. Reminds of Archon Satani, BDN and even parts of Raison D'etre and Desiderii Marginis.
(4 out of 5)

Sunset Wings "Covering For Solace" CD [2009]
The main problem I have with Neofolk music is that it has a tendancy to be very fucking boring. Unless you really give it some, you end up stuck in acoustic guitar hell. Many websites I visited heralded this as being the awesome new release of the month and that we all must buy it on pain of death. So I did. And was disappointed. Yes, it's very melodic and vocally likeable, but after 5 songs it's just plain dull. There is nothing that stands out or makes me want to replay the CD. To me, it's all pretty standard fare, and isn't offering anything which hasn't come before. If you like more of the same, then fine. But for me it's nothing special.
(3 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment